Thursday, June 16, 2011

Imagine......


   As a kid, my world was a pretty small place. My house, the school, scouts and church was all I knew. School taught me that the world was indeed round and not just a small flat spot as it appeared to me. 
   My first clue to the magnitude of this place came one day when I was given an old tube type radio. Television wasn't available in Northern Minnesota yet. 
  On a warm summer evening, I plugged in the old radio and the size and scope of my world changed dramatically. As I slowly rotated the dial, stations from across the United States and Canada came to life in the brilliant technicolor of my imagination. There was Big John and Sparky, Andy Divine, The Shadow, Amos and Andy and the list went on and on. 
   I doubt that I slept that night. The next evening, I listened to world news from Canada and learned that wars were going on across the entire world in one form or other. I learned about a place called Korea and that scared me some.
   Today so very many years later, I still prefer radio. The pictures are so much better.
   You can find the EBook Kindle edition of "The River Calls" at Amazon.com and at www.peaceriverbooks.com. The Peace River Books blog is updated each day. 
   I invite you to visit "The River Calls" blog site each day for a small look into what life was like a long time ago.
   Glad you stopped into "therivercalls" blog. We'll try to put something new here each day.
Good Reading,
Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment