Sunday, May 29, 2011

Raspberries



One of old Wil Morgan's favorite things was raspberries. Have you ever tasted raspberries with fresh cream? I mean fresh cream, just poured from the ice box. It has to rate up there with the best things on earth.

I remember an old lady we called Aunt Beck. She wasn't my aunt or even the aunt of anyone I knew. She was just plain Aunt Beck. She lived here in northern Minnesota and was at least 200 years old.

Outside her little house was a raspberry patch the size of Manhattan. Well almost. Every morning during berry season, as soon as the dew was off the patch, she'd put on her berry picking apron and grab at least four large pails, and head out the door.

Within a couple hours, she'd be back inside, with a good fire going in the cook stove, and a canner full of boiling water. She'd fill the jars with berries, loosely packed, a scoop of sugar and then fill the jar with water. Then she'd put on the lids and rings and gently set them into the boiling water. After the prescribed time, she'd take them out and set them on the kitchen table. As they cooled, the lids would make a click and she'd know it was done just right. The ones that didn't seal correctly, were given to me along with a pitcher of cream.

I'm not sure, but I think I can still remember how it tasted. My my my! It was wonderful to be eight years old.

You can find the EBook Kindle edition of this book at Amazon.com and at www.peaceriverbooks.com. The Peace River Books blog is updated each day.

Glad you stopped into "therivercalls" blog. We'll try to put something new here each day.

Good Reading,
Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment